Black Tourmaline is an incredible stone with incredible energy. It may not be as “pretty” as other stones, but it is VERY powerful. I find irony in its power because it is a very fragile stone. You must be very cautious when handling a piece as the segments can easily break off. Let’s get into the power that this stone can bring to your day to day life.
Black Tourmaline used to be called, and sometimes still is, Schorl as far back as the 1400s. Tourmaline is a crystalline boron silicate mineral compounded with elements such as aluminum, iron, magnesium, sodium, lithium, or potassium. Tourmaline is classified as a semi-precious stone, and the gemstone can be found in a wide variety of colours. It is a crystal that is available on every content globally; however, 95% of it comes in the colour black, making your coloured tourmalines incredibly rare.
Ancient magicians used Black Tourmaline to aid in protection and grounding during spell casting. Today it is still highly revered as a talisman of protection as it is able to protect the user from negative energies, entities, or destructive forces.
Black Tourmaline Properties in the Bodies
-Guards against radiation and environmental pollutants
-Strengthens sense of smell
-Stimulates reflex points in the lower body
-Assists with motion sickness
-Strengthens the immune system
-Assists with hand/eye coordination
-Increases physical energy
-Purifies negative thoughts
-Neutralizes internal conflicts
-Helps to dissolve phobias
-Helps to overcome substance abuse
-Promotes rational thought
-Inspires a positive attitude
-Soothes panic attacks
-Cleanses the emotional body
-Helps remove negative thoughts
-Connection to earth
-Promotes a sense of power
-Protects the user during ritual work
-Associated with the Root Chakra
-Promotes grace during difficult times
-Maintains spiritual consciousness
-Clears blockages in the aura
-Removes negative energy
-Connection to nature
Uses for Black Tourmaline
There is no wrong way to use crystals, you can always follow what you are guided to, but I have a few tips here if you’re unsure.
Carry it around with you in a pocket, purse, wallet, and for ladies – in the bra.
Wear it in a piece of jewelry
Meditate with it in your dominant hand for releasing, non-dominant for receiving. For example, if you are looking to rid of an old habit, meditate with it in your dominant hand. If you need to obtain some heart energy, place it in the non-dominant.
Grids, Black Tourmaline, is the optimal Crystal to use in gridding for grounding and protection rituals.
-Place a large piece near the entry of your home or outside of the door to help protect against negative energies entering. People with bad intentions will be less likely to enter the premises. Put a small piece on every window and door frame to continue repelling the negative energy.
– Keep a large piece next to your bed to help prevent night terrors
– If someone in the home is suffering from depression, put a piece in each corner of their bedroom
Visualization Meditation Practice
For this exercise, having 3 pieces of Black Tourmaline is ideal; however, 1 will do. Cleanse stone(s) before starting exercise. To cleanse, use smoke from sage, or an incense, allow the stone to bathe in the smoke. Energize the crystal in either moonlight or sunlight for 2 hours minimum. (I typically leave my stones in the window sill overnight to charge)
1. Turn off your phone to ensure you will not be disturbed, allow roughly 30 minutes for this exercise.
2. Sit in an upright chair, crisscrossed yoga posture, or lie down. Take off shoes and socks.
3. Grab your cleansed crystals, place one at the base of your spine, sit on it (if you only have one stone, make sure this is where you place it). Place one in each palm (palms facing upwards)
4. Begin to breathe deeply, do this for 3-5 minutes.
5. Be aware of the ground beneath you, and start to visualize a strong root growing out from your spine out through the soles of your feet.
6. Imagine you are a tiny seed of life force energy. Tiny roots growing out from the spinal root, seeking nourishment from the earth. They are looking for water. Your task is to see the network of roots taking up water, passing it into your body through the base chakra (root Chakra, Muladhara chakra)
7. Now, see your spine as the trunk of a tree. Check that your body is finely balanced on either side of the spine.
8. Visualize your head in the element of air. Now you can see yourself fully as a tree with roots, trunk, and branches.
9. Look closely at the branches; what type of leaves do they have? Do they have flowers or fruit on them? Accept whatever it is that you see.
10. Now focus inwardly, realizing that you draw nourishment from the earth, just like a tree. In the world of energy vibration, nothing is separate: you and the tree are one.
11. When you are ready to finish, breathe in more deeply. Let go of the tree visualization. Reach down to your feet and rub them, then rub your legs.
12. Hold all your crystals in your hands, share your breath on them, thank them for their energy.
13. Stretch your body, remembering that you are a tree reaching up to the light.
14. Make notes of your experience in a journal
* This exercise is on page 114 in the Chakra Bible by Patricia Mercier
Energy Healing with Black Tourmaline
Black Tourmaline may be used to activate grounding between the Root Chakra and the center of the Earth, providing further enhancement of one’s well-being on the physical plane.
The Base, or Root Chakra, is located at the base of the spine and controls the energy for kinesthetic feeling and movement. It is the foundation of physical and spiritual energy for the body.
When physically out of balance, the symptoms can appear, such as lethargy, low levels of activity, low enthusiasm, and a need for constant stimulation. When its spiritual energies are out of balance, you will feel flighty, disconnected from reality, and distant. When the Base Chakra is in balance, the physical body regains its strength and stamina, and the spiritual energy is rekindled in the form of security and a sense of one’s own power. It often leads to independence and spontaneous leadership.
Black Tourmaline is an amazing grounding stone. It really surges that grounding energy that your feet feel completely planted where they stand. It helps you feel so good inside your own body. It feels like safety and protection. This stone can also really help you get a sense of belonging. This is a great stone to give to children in the puberty stage of life, as it can really help them get in tune with their bodies as they undergo such a huge shift in their energies.
As a protection stone, it can keep bad energies from entering your aura and affecting any of your bodies (physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual). It can actually repel the negative energies and send it back to where it came from! (super cool) It neutralizes energy imbalances within your body, and it can also intensify positive energy vibrations! This will repel lower vibrations trying to enter the aura. It is an aura, psychic, and energy shield. It can also protect our bodies from EMF, reduces pain, cleanses and purifies dense energy. Enhances physical wellbeing by providing an increase in physical vitality, emotional stability, and intellectual acuity. So much power in this delicate stone!
As always, if you need any help along your journey, please reach out.
Until Next Time,
Relevate the Day – Anna xo